Surrendering Other Animals
We do operate off a waiting list for pocket pets like rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, etc. Please call the front desk to be placed on the wait list at 740-369-7387.
Plesae call ahead to discuss you surrendering options. Please do not bring your pet to our shelter unless we have arranged your pre-scheduled surrender appointment. The only exception is for injured stray animals. We can only accept animals from Delaware County into our adoption program.
REQUIREMENTS TO SURRENDER:
• A surrender donation fee will be requested based on the type of animal and if cages and supplies are donated with the animal(s). These surrender donation fees range on average of $25.
• All non-traditional animals must be domesticated and people-friendly.
• Animals must be healthy, or have a medical condition HSDC can treat.
• When possible, provide the cage, food supplies, bedding, etc... (We often adopt out these types of animals with their full set-up.) If you have a non-traditional pet you would like to surrender to HSDC, please call us at (740) 369-7387
Types of NON-TRADITIONAL ANIMALS we may accept include:
• Hamsters • Guinea Pigs • Ferrets • Birds • Certain amphibians or reptiles • Exotic pets as permitted by the law
• Pot-bellied pigs, horses, and barnyard animals - please contact our Horse Rescue Program Coordinator at
• NOTE: If you have a large (or dangerous) exotic animal, please contact us to discuss relocation opportunities as provided by the new Exotics Laws